A group of 20 longtime co-workers now share more than their place of work—together they won, and will split, a $420.9 Powerball jackpot from the drawing held Nov. 26, 2016. The “Tennessee 20,” as they quickly dubbed themselves after the big win, joined Tennessee Education Lottery officials today to claim their winnings.
“All this time playing has been fun, but I never truly thought we would win,” said Amy O’Neal, the group’s spokesperson. “It’s still sinking in, but we’re having a blast!”
The winners, from 13 different cities in the mid-south, work together at North American Stamping, North 1 LLC, Portland, TN. They primarily handle sales and quality control at the auto parts manufacturing plant.
“What a great day for Tennessee!” said Rebecca Hargrove, President and CEO of the Tennessee Education Lottery. “We couldn’t be happier for this wonderful group of friends. The excitement from winning experiences like these is a key part of our success raising funds for education programs in Tennessee.”
The lucky ticket was sold at Smokeshop, 711 Scottsville Road, Lafayette, Tenn. Owner Joyce Gregory was on-hand to receive a $25,000 selling bonus and to join Amy, a long-time loyal customer, the other winners, family members and Tennessee Lottery staff members.
Immediate plans varied—from a vacation in Italy, helping family with medical bills, sending children to college and purchasing new vehicles—but one thing was unanimous: the desire to help others.
“This group has a heart of gold,” said Steve Huffman, who lives in Macon County. “They always have and they always will.”
$420.9 MILLION POWERBALL JACKPOT WON IN TENNESSEE
- Drawing held Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016
- $420.9 Million jackpot is the 9th largest in Powerball history
- Cash value is $254.7 Million
- Winners: 20 co-workers—the “Tennessee 20” at North American Stamping, North 1 LLC, Portland, TN (auto parts manufacturer)
- Winners chose the cash lump sum payment of $254.7 million and will split it evenly
- Ticket sold at Smokeshop, 711 Scottsville Road, Lafayette, Tenn.
- Retailer will receive $25,000
- Winning ticket was a Quick Pick (computer randomly selected the player’s numbers)
- 200th Tennessee Lottery ticket sold worth $1 million or more
- 6th Powerball jackpot won in Tennessee. Additional winners include:
- $528.8 million jackpot won by a Munford family in January 2016, who split the $1.58 billion world-record jackpot with winners in two other states.
- $259.8 million prize won in Knoxville, June 2014
- $144.1 million prize won in Antioch in November 2015
- $50 million won in Knox County, March 2015
- $25.5 million won in South Pittsburgh, March 2005
- The highest Powerball jackpot (and largest in U.S. history), is the $1.58 Billion Powerball jackpot won in January 2016 and shared by three winning tickets in Tennessee, California and Florida.
- Tennessee players have won approximately $1.8 Billion in Powerball prizes since April 2004.
- Powerball sales alone have generated an estimated $690 Million for education in Tennessee since the game was launched in April 2004.
Tennessee Education Lottery Corporation
- The Tennessee Lottery has raised more than $3.9 BILLION for specific education programs in Tennessee, including college scholarships, after-school programs and Tennessee Promise
- Since Fall 2004, more than one million scholarships, grants and awards were funded during Academic Year 2015-16
- In addition to the educational beneficiaries, players have won over $10.4 billion in prizes and Lottery retailer partners have earned nearly $1 billion in retailer commissions since the Lottery began selling tickets on Jan. 20, 2004.
Powerball Game Details
- Overall odds to win a prize are 1 in 24.9. Odds to win the jackpot are approximately 1 in 292 million.
- Powerball is played in 44 States, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
- Powerball drawings are held Wednesday and Saturday nights.